Paris 2012

Monday, September 1, 2014

People Pics, Marché d'Aligre, and Lunch

Susanne & I want to do more people pics.  I went out one evening last week but didn't have much success.  As soon as I raise the camera, everyone becomes wary.  I'm trying to develop a way to hold the camera just above & in front of my waist and without looking down, snap the photo.  The problem is knowing that the lens is level, parallel to the ground.



Here's my first attempt at a quick shot, only half successful, the camera wasn't level.
I saw this Mademoiselle Noire a long way off so I was prepared.


Got this couple with a waist shot.

Here are two Susanne people shots.



======

Sunday we went to the Marché d'Aligre market, to possibly see Susanne's friend Rachid (he was working at another market).  But his son Salim works nearby at the indoor market.  We've made friends with Salim's boss, also Salim.  Here is Susanne with Les Deux Salims



They are Algerians who belong to an ethnic group no longer welcome in their home country.  Young Salim is a very nice man but with no English & with my limited fractured French we don't communicate as well as we'd like.  Other Salim does speak English, but we're standing in front of his fruit & vegetable stand and he needs to get back to work.

This is my favorite, favorite market and going there is the highlight of my Paris visit.  There are so many sights, sounds, aromas, & colors that just being there is resounding evidence that I am alive.  It is organized pandemonium 

I took two videos but I'm not satisfied with either one so I'll go back to try again.  I really appreciate the movie director...no matter how confusing the scene seems to be in the movie, everyone is at the right place, doing the right thing at the right time.  Here, Murphy's Law abounds.  The sellers are barking their wares until the vid starts, then quiet.  I have a great scene going & a big head emerges directly in front...I rotate to the side & the head follows.

I'm lecturing, sorry.  Here are some stills of the market.  I now see that we did not get enough pix of how colorful the fruit is.



Above is a view from what the sellers see & do.


Inside the covered market, the butchers are at work.  Yes that's butcher's string dangling down.


Turning some bottles and the cheese seller into a still life, of sorts.

This is what a very successful morning at the market looks like.


Our plan for lunch was to stop at a very famous wine bar nearby, Le Baron Rouge to sample wine in small glasses & have a place of meats & cheeses.  That is until we wandered by this hole-in-the-wall restaurant with the folks outside have delicious tagine, a wonderful North African dish. 




Here's lunch, a chicken tangine for all of 7 euros, about $7.50 U.S. menu price.  Parteger, as usual.



We are doing more things than I seem to have time to post about on the blog.  I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it.  I often get blog fatigue around this stage of a trip but this time (so far).


Now for a few street photos.

A church on rue St. Aintoine.  The dome is covered with scaffolding but at this angle, it's hidden.


Another church's dome as the sun is low in the sky.

Another low sun shot along rue St. Antoine.

Now for some sexy art.  It's not the wire mesh that counts as much as the shadow it casts.









No comments: