Paris 2012

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Practice Blog #5

I will be sending out my blog notice in the next day or two. You, my loyal followers are already signed up email-wise.

One of the ladies I volunteered with at Sky Harbor Airport, Laurie, is a REAL Parisite. She spends her summers in Paris & is there now. (We'll be meeting up for lunch when we're there) She also loves to take photos & posts a few on her Facebook wall. She's quite good, actually. Her composition is spot on.

She does some of her shots in black & white. Remember that from the old days? Mostly abandoned once Kodacolor & Kodachrome came out. You only shot B&W when you wanted super fast film...remember Tri-X? But I digress.

Well, with a few mouse clicks in photo processing software you can have any digital color photo in B&W.

Here is one of her shots taken this summer, grabbed from her FB wall:


And that's not her best shot by a long shot.



This is a classic pic I took last year down the Champs Elysees from Place de la Concorde looking towards the Arc de Triomphe all the way out to La Défence, site of that famous inverted U skyscraper of which we can see the horizontal leg inside the Arc.















And here it is in B&W. It changes the character of the shot...has an ageless, more reminiscent feel to it. If it weren't for the modern cars in the foreground, you'd think it was taken 50-60 years ago.

The left turn signal of the car on the right is distracting.  It would be easy to Photoshop that out.  The red light above the bus is distracting in the color shot, but not in B&W.







I will be trying out B&W when we get there. It's not suitable for every photo. I hope I can choose correctly. Won't bore you with both versions, will do one or the other.

No comments: